How do you enroll in Medicare?
Medicare enrollment doesn’t automatically happen when you turn 65.
Here’s how to enroll in Original Medicare (Parts A and B).
Enrolling in Medicare Parts A & B
- You will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B.
- You should get a “Welcome to Medicare” packet and Medicare card in the mail from the Social Security Administration about 3 months before your 65th birthday.
- You need to contact Social Security to apply for Medicare.
- It is best to apply 3 months before your 65th birthday. If you do not apply, you will not be enrolled in Medicare.
- Online: Visit Social Security’s website
- By phone: Call the Social Security Administration national customer hotline at 1-800-722-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. TTY users should call, 1-800-325-0778.
- In person: Visit your local Social Security office
What you may need
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate
- Proof of United States citizenship or legal residency (if you weren’t born in the U.S.)
- Any W-2 forms you have from the last two years
- Your Social Security card or number
System Error. Please Try again later submission failed
FBM PLN 004 F 122022
Last Updated: 10.01.2023